Thursday 31 December 2015

Final Post of 2015 - First Year of The Big Picture



Welcome to my final post of 2015! It's been eight months since the start of The Big Picture, and here I am writing my last post at the end of what's been a very busy and productive year. This post will be a bit more personal, as I'll be looking at the last eight months of this blog and give some ideas as to what I hope to cover next year.

I suppose I should start by saying thank you to everyone who has read and enjoyed this blog over the last year. I've been overwhelmed by some of the support I have received from people I know and from fellow like-minded people online. I started this blog as a means to keep productive and share my love of film, and the fact that people have enjoyed what I do is a wonderful feeling. A massive thanks to you all!

In terms of film releases in 2015, I have mainly stuck to reviewing the blockbusters. Films like Star Wars and Avengers felt like a must, as not only am I interested in both franchises, but their enormous success means that they are important in today's market. A lot of the time, though, my posts have been about films that I love, whether they be old favourites like Jason and the Argonauts, or new discoveries such as Martha Marcy May Marlene. I would like to review a greater variety of cinema in the future, perhaps more independent releases and maybe even films that I don't like. I've made a deliberate attempt to not post about films that I don't like this year, as I didn't want my first year of The Big Picture to have many negative posts. Only if I feel I can say something about a film I don't like, but keep it light with a bit of humour, do I think it would be worth posting (see my post on the Green Street films for an example).

I've tried to be a bit more adventurous with some posts this year. I very much enjoyed putting together my Top 10 posts on Not Going Out and Fawlty Towers. Both series are always fun to talk about and it was good to get more of the comedy genre on the blog. I have also done a few comparison posts, which is something I hope to do more of next year. I might also be interested in looking at specific filmmakers for a period of time, as a opposed to franchise releases, which have been covered a fair few times this year.

Later in the year is when things got really busy for me personally. I was back at University to begin my final year of studies, and so I cut down to writing one post a week. I covered the entire ninth series of Doctor Who in this time, with my posts on each episode shorter than my usual amount, Because of this, I decided to refer to these posts as "recaps". My busy schedule meant that I wasn't able to dedicate more time to these posts, and feel like they could have been better overall. I also didn't get round to seeing the final Hunger Games film, which I was hoping to review. In between my studies, I have been working as a TV extra in two dramas: Scott and Bailey and Britain's Darkest Taboos. Scott and Bailey was background scenery, whereas Britain's Darkest Taboos was a featured roles. Both were great to work on, and should be released sometime next year. I'll be keeping to one post a week for now, as I am still busy with University work.

So as we see out 2015, I once again say thank you for the support shown for The Big Picture. I have very much enjoyed my time writing all the posts uploaded this year, and fully intend to bring you more. I wish you all a happy new year. See you in 2016 :)

No comments:

Post a Comment